Saturday 24 December 2022

1994 - version 4.1

I want to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. 


Having released version 4 of the 1994 mod earlier this year, I've continued to chip away at 1994 content and there have been numerous updates since that release. Some of that work has been on hold whilst I was creating some 2022 content for you, but now I'm happy to present to you an updated version of the mod, version 4.1.


What's new? 

New Benetton B194

Shortly after the release of the 1994 Mod, I quickly started work on the 1994 Benetton B194. The car was completed and released earlier this year in July, and the car is now included in the mod. This comes with track specific textures from Spain to the end of the year, not previously released. Track specific shape updates have not yet been done, that will be at a future date. 

As well as the car and new liveries, I've added the external steering wheel and created a new internal cockpit, which are available if you choose to race as one of the Benetton drivers.


New Minardi M193B

Similarly, I completed and released this car (after the mod was released) earlier this year in September. Whilst this car only appears in one race in this mod (the Spanish GP), the car will provide a great base for the M194 when I eventually come to do that. But until then, you can enjoy this car in the mod. Like the Benetton, an external steering wheel has been added.

Updated Ferrari 412T1B

My Ferrari has had a few minor updates since I released the stand alone car in the v4.0 mod. This time, I've gone a little further. The mirrors and rear light are taken from my 1995 Ferrari, and the front wing pylons and all the bodylines have been refined. I've also completely recreated the textures, although they are very similar to the originals. Previously, I created the original textures in PaintShop Pro, and then I lost the original file with all my layers and vectors and with it my motivation, and that's when Kedy and Aus_Doug helped me over the line. 

I wanted to update some parts of the textures to bring them in line with my more recent cars, so it didn't take too long to recreate the whole car's textures. This includes a deeper red colour and a more accurate NT texture. Lots of little changes really, but overall I think it looks a lot better.





New Shoei helmet shape

I'm grateful to ASR Formula and EKO Sim Racing for allowing me to use their Shoei X4 helmet, and whilst I did a few shape additions initially, Oggo got his hands on it and made many impressive updates to bring it in line with his already excellent Arai helmet.

Alesi's helmet is from Oggo's excellent 1993 helmet set, but for all the other 5 drivers who used the Shoei helmets, I've remade these helmets from scratch and included all their track specific helmets in the mod. There are variations where drivers did not run a visor strip, and also a fully reflective version where you cannot see the face through the visor.

Shoei X4 helmet by Oggo, Fongu, EKO Sim Racing, ASR Formula and Alesi_Fan


Pit props

Thanks again to Oggo for opening up a whole new avenue of editing in GP4 and pitprops is one of them. So I've created new front and rear jacks, a new car stand, a new hose, a new lollipop and new wheel guns. With them comes new textures for most teams, not all, as photos are limited. Again, you have to choose a driver to see the different team specific lollipops and front jacks.


External Cockpit Camera angles 

With my cars, I've been trying to bring more and more detail to the cockpits of my 1994 cars. However you couldn't really see them in game, and my make-shift importing the dashboard into the internal cockpit isn't the ideal soluton. So I've updated one of the external camera angles on each car that serves as a driver's eye view. I based the view off some YouTube videos where cameras were attached to helmets. With that, I've started to do some more external steering wheels. These will probably be updated with better quality ones at a later date.


CSM updates

Thanks to all those who have either spotted bugs in the v4.0 release, or have offered recommendations for updates. In the CSM menu, I've removed the fogging option, and replaced it with an option to not run the new DirectX file from crossire, thanks to the community for the feedback on this one. There are also a number of fixes to various codes, track specific designations and some graphics. 


Steering Wheel Font

This is not really worth mentioning, but I have amended the steering wheel font colour, which will only be visible in qualifying and practice modes. Duffer has made a great little tool to edit this for the first time. I only really did this update because I can, not for any realism reasons.

GPxPatch Cinfo

I'm not entirely sure who the original author of the pre-race grid graphics via GPxPatch was initially, but I added a few Grand Prix in HD in the initial v4.0 release. I've now completed the pre-race grids for all races and amended it to now shows on all cameras. The data is based off real life qualifying grids, so it doesn't reflect the qualifying times in your game, nor does it necessarily reflect the drivers racing in game. But I still think it's a nice touch to have. 


Plenty of updates, as you can see, and I hope you enjoy them. Version 4.1 is a new stand alone release, so you will need to delete version 4.0 and reinstall this new version (installing v4.1 over the top of the older version may cause some bugs as CSM can only update files, not delete existing outdated files).