Tuesday 12 March 2019

GP4: 1996 Forti FG01B walkaround part 2

In case you missed it, part 1 of the 1996 Forti FG01B walkaround click here: https://fongugp4.blogspot.com/2019/03/gp4-1996-forti-fg01b-walkaround-part-1.html

I was looking back at my old screenshots of this car before it was painted and found this photo:

The white parts are all the newly created parts, the yellow from the existing 1995 car.


Starting off at the front of the car, I remodelled the nose cone quite heavily from the 1995 car which was very low-poly. This is a lot smoother. Unfortunately there is shadow painted on the front wing supports that shouldn't be there, but I think it's a mapping issue.


I've shown the wireframe for this shot so that you can see I started working on smoothing the curve where the nose joins the the side of the cockpit. If I was doing that again today, I would put more polygons to smooth the curve even more.



I found one blurry shot of the cockpit which has this ledge on it. I'm not sure what it was for, maybe you could put your cup of tea there or something. I'm not too happy with the rear of the head rest, but I am pleased with how it joins to the chassis.


I'm quite pleased with how the sidepod turned out, that's one of my favourite parts of my work on this car. There is massive gap for the rear suspension elements which can't have helped the aero.


I like how in GP4 that you can crash the car and parts will fall off, and reveal some of the work going on underneath. The 3D body lines give a bit of depth to the nose.


I'm not sure why Celinho decided to paint his own body lines that don't follow the 3D ones. The hole at the rear of the engine cover (by the Ford logo) is painted on, and it's nicely done. The 1995 rear wing does not look out of place, and the new rear wing endplates fit on very well.


There aren't too many shots of the rear, so its difficult to model this accurately, but from what I could tell, with a little artistic licence, you can see they had a unique approach, with the central part looking more like an extended turning vane than a diffuser. You can see a lot of the gearbox/rear suspension and engine exhausts through the rear of the car.


Here, the car is without its engine and sidepod covers revealing the internals of the car. They are taken from Oggo's Benetton B196 (with permission), hence it comes a Renault engine logo. GP4 doesn't do shadows from the car onto itself, so whilst its nice to have nice textures on engine and a lovely shiny exhaust, in race conditions its usually under shadow and black.



I hope you enjoyed the walkaround of the Forti. It's not the best looking car (not really my fault!), and it's not one of my best models (compared to the rest of the 1996 grid), however many lessons were learned from this car that I developed into the other cars.