Saturday 12 October 2019

GP4: 1994 Ligier JS39B (Australian GP) WIP 3

In the last of my walkaround work in progress shots of the Ligier, I concentrate on this post on the central and rear parts of the 3D car I have shaped. 


For my 1994 cars, I've been fairly minimal in making the inside parts under the engine cover, but for where some of the cars that have holes cut in them, you can see through the airbox. One of the problems with modelling this is in GP4 you can get some flickering if the internal parts are too close to the surface.


The engine cover changed a bit for the late season, the hump at the back begins much sooner, and there is an additional bump above it (this is a bit clearer in the previous screenshot). The top of the sidepod is flat and not curved or at an angle, so that was quite simple to model.


Moving to the rear of the car, and we have a new diffuser. The outer parts of the diffuser are from my 1994 McLaren, with the exhaust integrated into the top part of it. The central diffuser section is quite unique, with three seperate elements, and the top central part is transparent so that you can see the rain light. The jack points are always a fun bit of detail to put in. As so much of the underside of this car is exposed, though still difficult to see with it being under shadow, I've put a bit of detail on the gearbox, the suspension mounting points and the actual suspension springs themselves.


Here you can see the opening at the rear of the sidepod, and you can see the rear suspension and rear wheel hub.

On the late season Renault engined cars, and into 1995, there is this small inlet, almost like a periscope sticking out of the engine cover. I found someone selling a late season rear wing endplate, so there were a couple of nice reference photos from that. Again, you can't see it on the screenshot, but I've put a bit of detail on the rear wing. It's interesting from the front view, the main black element covers the middle element, looking like they are running quite low wing. If you remember my model review of the Spark model, I complained that they basically only modelled the top element and coloured it all white, but I can kind of see how that mistake happened having inspected various photos.

I hope to get this car mapped fairly soon, and I will release the car as is for anyone who has the talent and time to paint this car.