Tuesday 21 January 2020

1/43 Model Review: 2019 Renault RS19 (Minichamps)

2019 is now over, and Hulkenberg is a former F1 driver after a pretty anonymous year, but that was probably more down to Renault's dip in form compared to the previous year when Nico was a constant best of the rest. Ricciardo showed more highlights, becoming more confident in wheel to wheel battles, but he still doesn't look as comfortable on the brakes as his Red Bull days.

The team were disqualified from the Japanese GP for their automatic brake balance management system.

The team finished in fifth place, with their best finish at the Italian GP when Ricciardo lead Hulkenberg to a 4 - 5 finish. The disappointing season lead to a change in the leadership of the design team.

Minichamps have released a limited edition run of Ricciardo's car from the Bahrain GP.
Minichamps 447190003

I think this is a brilliant little model, I prefer it to the Spark model. I think the Spark model if you inspect its separate elements looks nice, but when you bring it altogether, just ever so slightly looks disjointed. I think the airbox on the Minichamps model looks slightly bulkier which I think is more accurate to the car.

I think the car looked particularly good on the dark track under the floodlights, and I think this is a lovely model.
Score: 8/10
Minichamps 417190003

Minichamps 417190027