Wednesday 22 January 2020

Update 2 of 1/43 Model Review: 1994 Ligier JS39B Renault

Well I couldn't help myself to some new 1994 models, and with Spark and Minichamps both releasing the 1994 Ligier, when Schumacher tested the car, I couldn't resist getting them both, taking some pics and comparing the two. If you want to see my other posts about this model and my GP4 car, then you can see the articles here.

Spark

Minichamps
It's nice how Spark have put on most of the tobacco decals leaving just a little bit to finish off, but both cars come with the decals to update the cars, not that I trust myself, particularly when these models are so expensive when new now. Almost immediately, playing spot the difference, there are quite a few to spot and from the wide shot, there's quite a few differences in proportions.

You don't get the difference in the modern models, as I believe they get geometric data from the teams, which is why the quality and proportions are very accurate. I can only assume they don't have that data for these models. As noted in other reviews, the front wing is massive on the Minichamps model, but what is there is a lot more refined. There is also much more curvature on the Minichamps model, which I think is a bit more realistic. The rollover bar and sidepods are very basic and quite similar on both models, the only real difference is right at the back of the engine cover, there is a square cut out of the Spark model to allow for the rear wing supports.


Spark
Minichamps


Spark have done some more squat mirrors, which I think over exaggerates the real car a little bit. Bot cars model the round cockpit well, but the Minichamps driver figure and seat fit into it better. Though I prefer the Minichamps helmets, they clearly didn't look at photos of the test as Schumacher ran an early season version of his helmet without the red 'wings' and elf logo. In terms of the overalls, Spark seem to have created some Ligier colours with Benetton logos, odd. On that front, I much prefer Minichamps. 


Spark
Minichamps


The Spark front wing looks so boxy, and the endplate doesn't quite have the unique contours, which I think Minichamps does a lot better in capturing (if it wasn't for the fact that it's huge!). Again the Minichamps wheels and rims are for me much better proportionally speaking. 


Spark

Minichamps
I do prefer the Minichamps suspension, just the points where it attaches to the chassis is much more accurate. However in terms of the lumps and bumps on the monocoque, Spark do seem to have them more prominantly.


Spark

Minichamps
I remember when I was doing the GP4 car that the rear of the engine cover around the Renault logo was not easy, but both manufacturers have done it well, but as I said earlier, the Spark version does have a better trailing edge. Notice the great difference in depth of the main rear wing plain, the Spark car running a particularly low downforce configuration. 



Spark

Minichamps
It's clearer from the above angle the rear wing differences. The bigger difference is in the diffusers, with Spark sporting the early season diffuser whilst Minichamps have produce the end of season version. 



Spark
Minichamps


My, the front wing is huge on the Minichamps car, did I mention that already? Minichamps have added a visor, which is a nice touch, whilst Spark have painted it in the colours of the chassis. The steering wheels are fairly standard and dull, but I prefer Spark's aerials and pitot tubes.