Sunday 19 June 2022

GP4: 1994 Mod v4.0 - Coming Soon - part 4

I mentioned briefly a third mod without giving too much away before now. I also mentioned that there were alternative menu options available for those who want a bit of nostalgia with GP2 menus, music and loading screens. 

I came across the Grand Prix Evolution mods for rFactor and Automoblista by Whills, where he basically recreated and remastered F1GP, Grand Prix 2 and Grand Prix 3 cars and made them playable in modern sims. So I got in touch with him and I'm grateful he shared with me his source files for the GP2 cars, helmets, tyres, cockpits and helped me out extracting some more stuff from the old game. 

The third mod option is GP2 in GP4. Yes, this is the nostalgia version of the basic mod. I've brought the original GP2 car and liveries, helmets and tyres into the game, and also semi-converted/semi-created a hybrid cockpit shape in the spirit of GP2. This goes great with the menu styles, and I'm working to get the sounds into the game in the near future.

I've also got GP2 performances (which are different from the main mods), which in terms of spread of BHP values, I personally prefer. I'd like to find a way of extracting some of the physics, but actually it feels pretty similar to GP2 as it is. 

This was a fun little endeavour, and Whills put lots of great effort into his mods, but for GP4, this is just a bit of fun. GP2 was the first of the Geoff Crammond series that I ever played, and though I am able to fire up the old game using DOSBox, this alternative gives me all the nostalgia I crave from the old game.