Monday 13 June 2022

GP4: 1994 Mod v4.0 - Coming Soon - part 3

1994 Mod preview - action from Australian GP

Helmets

As mentioned in my last post, I wanted to respect the original works. However, I wanted to convert Hagi and Aus_Doug's helmets to Oggo's new Arai GP3 helmet shape, which I've done with minimal changes. 

I've also added individual driver faces, trying to add photos of their faces as close to that era as I could reasonably find. I've also tried to match the right balaclava usage as well. 

The mod is setup to allow different helmet shapes for each driver, but they've not been created yet, but the mod is ready to receive them once they do. Indeed the Lotus drivers, particularly Zanardi, used three different helmet suppliers that season. 

In addition, I've started to add more track specific helmet liveries that were previously missed. I've not reviewed every helmet for the whole season yet, but certainly they are updated for Spanish and Canadian GPs. Thanks also to KerleyF1 for updating the Jordan drivers' helmets for the Brazilian GP. 

Arai GP3 helmet by Oggo, texture by Fongu

3D Rims

Alesi_fan and Turbo Lover created an excellent 5 spoke OZ 3D rims and textures that were included in v3.0. Specific rims were created for F1C, and where they were different, namely BBS rims for Benetton and Ferrari, 3 spoke front rims for Tyrrell and 6 spokes for Pacific, these rims were converted or created and added to the tyres for GP4. 

Thanks must go to Oggo once more for enabling us the ability to run team specific 3D rims. 

1994 Mod - Tyrrell at Canadian GP with 3D rims


1994 Mod - Jordan at Australian GP with 3D rims

Cockpits

Unfortunately GP4 is still limited to one cockpit shape, a limited internal steering wheel that for some reason defys all lighting effects, and and even more limited external steering wheel and arms. 

So to keep things simple, I've kept the original cockpit shape, which will allow for one cockpit texture, but I've converted and created many internal dashboards. Again this is not entirely finished, the ones not included in the mod yet are because I'm working on new versions in the background. The Williams, McLaren, Tyrrell and Ferrari are scratch made by me. 

I've also converted a number of 3D steering wheels from F1C, again thanks to David Marques for sharing these with me and allowing me to included them in the mod. As well as each team having a steering wheel, but I've included the original generic 1994 mod steering wheel, the 1993 3D steering wheel by Carl_gpgames, and also an alternative Ferrari steering wheel. With both the dashboards and steering wheel changes, at least there is some difference between which team you choose to race with. I'm still holding out hope that one day we can have individual cockpits and steering wheels per team, as well as 3D external wheels, but it seems a pipe dream currently. 

1994 Mod - Ferrari internal cockpit and wheel
1994 Mod - Lotus internal cockpit and wheel
 

1994 Mod - McLaren internal cockpit and wheel

I'm yet to create external steering wheels yet, but where they are compatible, I've included some 1995 ones. But I've started to pimp up the external cockpits too. 

1994 Mod - Jordan external cockpit

1994 Mod - Tyrrell external cockpit

1994 Mod - Williams external cockpit

Sounds

I'm not an expert on sounds, in fact I'm quite clueless in editing them. I've included Mitsuro Sano's 1997 Ferrari sounds as an alternative for both Basic and Advanced options - I think it's a fair v10 sound that suits that era more than his early 1990s engine sounds do. 

1994 Mod - Minardi M194 at Belgian GP by Loren, textures by Fongu

Miscellaneous

I want to thank Petrus for updating some of the GPaedia and some of the CSM preview graphics. 
Thanks to Quickslick for his beta testing, logo knowledge as well as fixing an issue on the pitboards.
Thanks to crosire for the DX8 to DX9 converter, which may help performance on some older machines.  

1994 Mod - action from Australian GP


And also all the versions of the Ligier, I did a blog post on over a year ago, these will be included in this version.