Friday 14 June 2019

GP4: 1995 Ferrari 412T2 WIP 2

In this update, I want to look at the front wing, the nose cone and the monocoque area (the bit between the nose and the cockpit).

GP4 1995 Mod
As previous mentioned, the front wing is pretty generic. The endplate is reasonably done. The front wing has three elements, and it has the two vanes underneath. It's pretty basic and not particularly accurate.

The nose is quite smooth, but the tip is quite low poly and basic compared to the monocoque region.

Real Racing 3
The Real Racing 3 front wing is a generic two element which doesn't really look anything like the real car. The bottom frong wing actually extends the full length of the end plate. The end plate is nicely done though.

Thankfully the nose is pretty nice along with the monocoque region. There's a lack of bargeboards on this car.

F1 2017
The front wing is the correct 3 elements and has the vanes underneath, two larger ones and one smaller one. Though there are some nice curves to the upper front wing elements, but the inboard section (bits by the nose cone) are almost flat on the real car. The outboard section should be more flat rather than tapered from front view.

The nose is nice and the monocoque seemed a bit thin and skinny to me. However, I think it captures the essence of the front endbetter than the RR3 car. If you notice on the nose, there's a concentration of polygon lines on the side, because the sidewall of the nose tapers in. That's why from some angles, the nose looks more curvy than it actually is from the top and front view.


So taking all these things into account I tried to incorporate these lessons into my car. Sorry for the screenshot with the black and you can't quite see it, but my gripes with the F1 2017 car has been improved upon in my version and more than halving the poly count. The bit of red you can see on the front wing is the underside of the front wing poking through, so I will fix that.

Onto the nose, and I have taken a slightly different approach to the nose tip. I've tried to take on some of the subtleties of the F1 2017 nose. I'm pretty happy with the basic shape.

F1 2017
WIP

Here is a comparison from front view. On the Codies car, there is virtually no gap between the two upper front wing elements. You can see on my model, how by the nose, there is very little front wing to see, but there is much more visible by the endplate. The contours of the trailing edge of the upper most element is much closer to the real car.


GP4 1995 mod

On my original model, you can see the nose tapers out from the top of the nose cone to the joining with the monocoque, where it is pretty much straight and parallel around the suspension before continuing to widen out for the cockpit. Back then I struggled to get the nose looking quite right from all angles, and having now come back it, it's because I assume from top down the top edge and the bottom edges were identical, with the side of the nose and monocoque being flat. But it's not on this car.

RR3
You can see how the bottom front wing extends the length of the endplate from this angle. You can also see that out of all of the models shown here, the RR3 is much wider than the others. If you look at the front of the cockpit, you can see an increase in concentration of polygons used to make the curved cockpit smoother. That's a trick I've been missing for my 90's cars, as I've always tried to make do with the number of polygons used around the monocoque.

F1 2017
The Codemasters car from the top view looks pretty straight forward and is essentially the same as the RR3 car but with more polygons used.

WIP
For my car, I tried to use a similar contour to the F1 2017 car, but making it a little thicker, but only marginally so. The front wing vanes are pretty much exactly the same as the Codies car, but the smaller barge board has much more of a curve. I tried to give it a little curve when I made my original car, but I made it a little more pronounced on this one.