Tuesday 9 July 2019

Updated 1/43 Model Review: 1994 Ligier JS39B Renault

Spark have released their 1994 Ligier JS39B and the first available is the Schumacher test car, so I had to get my own copy. After taking some shots, I've updated my original blog post.
https://fongugp4.blogspot.com/2019/01/143-model-review-1994-ligier-js39b.html

As with the McLaren update yesterday, I thought I would post some more shots of this model. 


Spark models come in a similar size to the Minichamps long box. The base is wooden as opposed to plastic, which gives it a nice weight, but does mean it slides around easier - not good if you stack models. The plastic case is nice, with rounded top edges. Once you remove the outer packaging, the whole car can be seen from any angle.


This is the late season model with the extra winglets by the rear wheel, the curved lower rear wing and the hole in the engine cover. I was pleasantly surprised when I got the model and reviewed it. Besides my usual gripes about the size of the tyres and the driver helmet, I think the rollover bar should be straighter vertically from front view, making the airbox a little more bulbous like the real car. The front wing looks a little blocky, and I think could be better refined. If I was really nitpicking, the upper rear wing element should be deeper whilst the middle element should be shallower. The other disappointment is that it has the early season diffuser. Despite these points, I still  like the model, it has nice details throughout, it would just be nice if it was slightly more refined.


I like the holes in the airbox and at the rear of the sidepods and the detail on the fuel cap is good too. Spark have managed to capture the curved cockpit sides. I also like how the mirrors are not bog standard ones, but made for this car. The driver figure is nicely defined too.


If you compare the original Minichamps suspension from yesterday's McLaren MP4/9 post, you can see how much more refined the Spark model is. The humps on the top of the monocoque and some of the detail of the rear of the car is really nice on this model.

I hope it won't be too long before we see Minichamps' version of this car and we have a rare opportunity to do a direct comparison.