Friday 19 July 2019

GP4: 1995 Ferrari 412T2 WIP 3

It's been a particularly busy month for me, but I have been chipping away at this car when I had a spare half and hour here or there and the car is not too far away from being complete.

In my last post, I was showing a work in progress of the nose, saying that there was still some fine tuning to be done.

WIP
As you can see, I've emphasised the wavy shape on the top part of the nose which you can see from the front view, but from top down, you can see the bottom of the nose is a smooth taper.

WIP
As you can see, I'm pretty happy with the front of the car now and baring any 3D bodylines which I'm still 50/50 in whether to add them or not, but this is pretty much the final version on front half of the car.



The front suspension was only more or less completed last night, but before I show you my new version, let's have a look at the other models.
GP4 1995 Mod
So my original car took Nick Ovey's suspension created for his Jordan 195. It's pretty basic compared to the models you get nowadays, but it had all the elements in a very generic way. The brake ducts on the actual Ferrari are quite unique, where as these are pretty generic.


RR3
The Real Racing car has some good suspension elements with a nice amount of detail, but there was no wheel hub that I could find, so the details kind of stop at a generic plate. What's there though is pretty accurate and is pretty similar to the F1 2017 car.

F1 2017
As you can see there's a lot more detail on the wheel hub itself on the Codies car, as well as more detail on how the suspension attachs to the monocoque. I love the work on the wheel hub on their car.

WIP
As you can see, my car is mostly based on the F1 2017 model. I couldn't help myself with to include all the lovely details on the Codies car though I did not use quite as many polygons. I did however add some of the cables that run along the rear of the lower front suspension arm which are clearer on the shot below. The only thing missing at the moment is the brake disc, which I will take off one my other cars.
WIP
Moving to a shot of the underneath of the nose and quite a nice touch is the mounting of the front element of the lower suspension arm. This is recreated in the Real Racing car...

RR3
and the F1 2017 car...
F1 2017
So of course I had to add my own version. 
WIP
You can see how busy it is from this angle, with the front wing vanes, the bargeboard supports (and there are additional ones that aren't on the F1 2017 that I've added based on photos) and the suspension elements. Again I just couldn't help myself but put a bit of detail in there that I have done for my 1994 cars.



GP4 1995 Mod
Moving to the bargeboard area and the sidepod opening, the original GP4, I rather cheated on the beginning of the sidepod joining the monocoque in that they aren't joined at all. The bargeboard was rather crude, it's very basic.

RR3
The Real Racing car doesn't have any bargeboards, which was how the car was launched. The sidepods are nicely created on this car. 

F1 2017
The F1 2017 car throws lots of polygons at the sidepod opening, and you can see the inside of the sidepod runs quite deep into the car and the radiator, whereas the Real Racing car stops much sooner. Again there are lots of polygons used to make a nice smooth curve on the bargeboard.

WIP
On my car, I continue to use the philosophy of keeping close to the RR3 polygon structure, but keeping close to the Codie's contours. The bargeboard has a lower polygon count, and the Codies car was missing a mount which I have added. For the inside of the sidepod, I have decided not to model too deep, as GP4 doesn't have a lighting algorithm that projects shadows onto itself.