Friday 22 February 2019

1/43 Model Review: 1974 World Champion Emerson Fittipaldi (McLaren M23 Ford Cosworth)

Background

1972 Champion, Emerson Fittipaldi, then at Lotus, was following the M23 when it was introduced in 1973 and knew that was the car to be in. So in 1974, he made the switch to McLaren, who had won three races in 1973. His knowledge of the excellent Lotus 72 helped develop the McLaren even further and he duly won the Drivers' Championship along with the Constructors' Championship that year; taking 3 victories along the way.

Minichamps


Minichamps 530744305
Minichamps released their version of the M23 as part of their McLaren Collection. As you can see, my version had tobacco decals applied. I think this is a great Minichamps model, and it comes with removable engine cover and cockpit cowl. So there's lots of detail underneath the model. The only let down for me are the definition of the cylinders, but the detail on the top of the engine makes up for that to me. I like the helmet with the additional fireproof sticking out, nice detail.
I've owned three of these, and each of them have sold for over £100, but as the market has become less popular over recent years, you can get this between £50-£100, perhaps less if you get a good deal.
Score: 9/10

Minichamps are due to release their World Champions Collection version in May 2019, so I can't wait to see how they will update this already fantastic model.

Spark

Spark S4359

This is Spark's offering from the Brazilian GP. Whilst I've been favouring Spark versions of the 1970s cars so far, I actually prefer Minichamps version on this occasion. I still love the driver body, the detail on the engine, and as with all Spark cars you get the additional tobacco decals to apply yourself (not that I've ever trusted myself to update one yet).

Score: 7/10

Ixo (Formula 1 Car Collection/Eaglemoss)


Ixo's version is quite a nice one in terms of proportions and livery. The Eaglemoss edition also features a driver figure. But you get what you pay for I suppose, and although it's nice, it's no match to the quality of the Minichamps/Spark versions above, but it's one of the better ones from Ixo's recent batch of cars.
Score: 7/10

For more from this series of World Champions, click here: https://fongugp4.blogspot.com/search/label/World Champions