Tuesday 12 February 2019

1/43 Model Review: 1994 Ferrari 412T1

My 1994 Model Reviews has come full circle, finishing off where I began, with the Ferrari, this time the early season 412T1 with its distinctive, beautiful and short-lived tear-drop sidepod openings. I've already reviewed their season in my previous post, so let's get straight into looking at the models.

Onyx / Heritage Formula

Onyx 190

The Onyx model gives us a fairly nice shape compared to its other offerings for the 1994 season. I prefer it's nose-front wing attachment treatment over Minichamps. The rear end also has a nice treatment. However, the car looks quite long, the engine cover in particular is too long - I know it houses a V12, but it's not that big! It fails to capture the curvature just in front of the cockpit. But it does come with nice BBS wheel rims.
Score: 6/10

Minichamps

Minichamps 430940027
Minichamps have only produced the early season version of the car, and it was a nice model. The proportions are nice, the shapes and curves are close to the real thing, a really nice model for the budget range at the time. It would have been nice to have the barcodes rather than blank space for the tobacco advertising.
Score: 7/10

Tameo

Tameo TMK177

Tameo, to my knowledge, have come out with two versions, the first from the Brazilian Grand Prix, similar to the models above. The model in the screen below is particularly well made, probably my favourite from all the 1/43 412T1 models. 
Score: 8/10

Tameo TMK188

In Spain (running into Canada), Ferrari experimented with opening up their sidepod inlets, something they would revise altogether for the 412T1B. Presumably they were not getting enough cooling. The Tameo model from the Canadian GP includes the openings on the engine cover, which were also deemed an illegal interpretation of the rules a few races in. 

Score: 8/10


BBR

BBR Met19


BBR's version of the 412T1 is nice, but for the price to accuracy ratio, I think I prefer Minichamps version on this occasion. I'm not a particular fan of the tear-drop sidepods on this model, though the engine cover and nose/monocoque sections are lovely. 
Score: 6/10


To read my review of the 412T1B, click here: 412T1B
For more 1994 model reviews, click here: 1994 Model Reviews