Wednesday 22 September 2021

Time Trial League - Rd 14 - Monza

Apologies, I'm quite busy this month, lots of different things going on, lots of travelling, so there's not the usual output from me, but here's a slightly shorter version of the GP4 Time Trial League review at Monza. 

We're on the original GP4 Monza track, albeit with updated sector points. 


0:12 - I've forgotten to run in kph again, but I'm running minimum rear downforce, I'm on the wheel with no steering help. Gildoorf has gone for a relatively high level of wing on his setup and it shows as he's the slowest down the straight and last on the brakes. Thanks to Carl for putting the top speeds in the video! 

1

Fongu

353.9

2

KerleyF1

353.6

3

32bobo32

352.2

4

Prblanco

351.4

5

Duffer

350.5

6

Carl_gpgames

348.1

7

Gildoorf

340.4


Hard on the brakes into turn 1. Notice the slightly different approaches: most of us get on the throttle briefly in between turns 1 and 2, but Prblanco simply let's the car roll into turn 2. Carl is able to keep turn 1 quite tight, getting a great wide entry into turn 2. Most of us, especially me and 32bobo32 prefer carrying more speed. A lot of inside kerb for everyone into turn 2. 

At the end of the first exit kerb, I'm slightly ahead of 32bobo32, then Gildoorf, Carl and Prblanco all in close succession. Duffer is slightly ahead of Kerley a little further behind. Those with a good exit carry it around the flat out Curva Grande, Carl, Kerley and myself keeping as close to the white line as we dare. 


0:30 - My top speed advantage has helped me maintain my lead as the first sector times are set:

1

Fongu

0:23.028

+0.000

2

32bobo32

0:23.117

+0.089

3

Carl_gpgames

0:23.154

+0.126

4

Prblanco

0:23.218

+0.190

5

Gildoorf

0:23.359

+0.331

6

Duffer

0:23.512

+0.484

7

KerleyF1

0:23.588

+0.560


It's very close between the top 5, with Duffer and Kerley joined at the hip. The second sector should suit those running a bit more wing, those with a good balance and confidence to attack the high speed corners, Gildoorf in particularly will be hoping to make up ground here.  

Maximum kerb for Carl and I as we attack the Della Roggia chicane. Only Prblanco on the keyboard is able to attack the first kerb. After this chicane, Gildoorf has moved up to third, hunting down 32bobo32 in second. Duffer is able to pull out a bit from Kerley at the rear. 

Into the Lesmos and look at the difference in steering lock between me and Carl. Prblanco and Carl both run a little wide at the exit of the second Lesmo, but Kerley is too ambitious and loses a lot of time on the exit. Gildoorf continues to make progress through the Lesmos, now in second place. Carl is now in third just ahead of 32bobo32. Duffer has pretty much caught Prblanco for fifth place, as we all stretch our legs again for another long straight, going underneath the old banking. 

0:58 - Sector 2 times have been set, let's see how we all got on:

1

Gildoorf

0:27.941

+0.000

2

Fongu

0:27.948

+0.007

3

Duffer

0:28.192

+0.251

4

Prblanco

0:28.406

+0.465

5

Carl_gpgames

0:28.407

+0.466

6

32bobo32

0:28.532

+0.591

7

KerleyF1

0:28.779

+0.838

As expected, Gildoorf tops the sector times, but only just. I'm able to carry the speed smoothly through the turns and maximise my exits to gain down the straights what I lost in the turns. Duffer also sets a great lap time, showing us some of the speed he had from the Montreal round on a similar set of corners. Just 1 thousandths of a second separate Prblanco and Carl_gpgames. That mistake costs Kerley massively in this sector. 

Overall the standings look like this after sector 2:

1

Fongu

0:50.976

+0.000

2

Gildoorf

0:51.300

+0.324

3

Carl_gpgames

0:51.561

+0.585

4

Prblanco

0:51.624

+0.648

5

32bobo32

0:51.649

+0.673

6

Duffer

0:51.704

+0.728

7

KerleyF1

0:52.367

+1.391

I maintain my three tenth advantage over Gildoorf in second place. The last sector should be interesting, as we need downforce for the Ascari chicane and especially the Parabolica, it's not over yet for the lead. There's a very tight battle for third place, lead by Carl, ahead of Prblanco, 32bobo32 (eager to do well in his home race and overcome his sector 3 woes) and Duffer. 

Into the Ascari chicane and it's maximum kerb for me again, I'm trying to straight line the right hander as much as I can, get the power on as early as I can, and maximum kerb on the second left hander too. Gildoorf, Carl and Kerley all maximise the exit kerb, but the kerb runs out for me and I'm slightly over the white line on the exit... oops. 

Carl uses lots of steering lock again in the middle of Ascari, whilst I'm trying to keep my steering to a minimum. This favours the wheel users, and Carl solidifies his third place ahead of 32bobo32. Duffer drops back a bit again through this chicane as he is by far the slowest going into the first left hander of Ascari. 


1:14 - Into the final bend, Parabolica. Man this is such a difficult corner, especially with the grass and gravel on the outside, just staring at you, a massive accident awaits if you get it wrong here. I choose a slightly different approach, turn in early, get all my steering done as early as possible as the front grips and then straight line it out of there. It's probably not the most ideal line, but I found it more forgiving if I was taking more speed into the entry. It's key to get the power on as early as possible, and with me being in the middle of the track, it suggests I'm not early enough on the throttle. Gildoorf, 32bobo32 and Duffer all take wide lines, trying to keep as much momentum through the long turn as possible. 

It's going to be a tight call for third place, between Carl and 32bobo32. Kerley is having a great final sector, he's just about squeezed ahead of Duffer as we all apporach the pit entry. As usual I'm exploring the track limits, minimizing the distance travelled by staying as far to the right as is legal.


1:33 - Across the line we all go. Let's see how we all performed in that final sector:

1

Fongu

0:20.764

+0.000

2

Gildoorf

0:21.033

+0.269

3

32bobo32

0:21.131

+0.367

4

Carl_gpgames

0:21.201

+0.437

5

KerleyF1

0:21.210

+0.446

6

Prblanco

0:21.676

+0.912

7

Duffer

0:22.009

+1.245

To my surprise, I top the sector times, I think it's more time gained in Ascari than my performance in Parabolica, but I'll take it. Gildoorf also sets a great final sector time, closely followed by 32bobo32 who has overcome his final sector gremlins, but is it enough to overhaul Carl for a hometown podium, as Carl is just a tenth down on him in this sector. Kerley is also right on the pace, with Prblanco and Duffer both struggling massively in this final sector. 

1

Fongu

1:11.740

+0.000

2

Gildoorf

1:12.333

+0.593

3

Carl_gpgames

1:12.762

+1.022

4

32bobo32

1:12.780

+1.040

5

Prblanco

1:13.300

+1.560

6

KerleyF1

1:13.577

+1.837

7

Duffer

1:13.713

+1.973

I come home convincingly in first, with I think the biggest winning margin of the season so far. For me, Monza is all about confidence, if you can attack the corners and get the lines you want (and exits), that's most the battle. Balance inspires that confidence. Sometimes that means carrying more downforce to settle the cars through the corners, but if you can take off the downforce and maintain that confidence, that's the key here. So when it goes right, the lap time difference can be massive, and I think that's what we've witnessed in this round. Small and smooth steering inputs showed I had the confidence to place the car where I wanted it, taking every available kerb but not too much. 

Gildoorf takes a well earned second place, a stellar lap on the keyboard, again if I was just on the keyboard, I would not have beaten this time, so well done, a clear half a second clear of the rest of the field. 

Gildoorf adds his take on a quick lap here: "From my side, Monza is much more about speed recovering plus precise braking. For the first aspect TC off helps a lot. For the second, mental strength and focus, at such speed there are no room for huge mistakes. Every curve counts IMO 😀"

Third place goes to Carl_gpgames, who just clings on to snatch a podium finish ahead of hometown hero 32bobo32. 

    Carl_gpgames: "🍾🍾🍾🍾🏆🏆🏆🏆🤣🤣🤣"

    32bobo32: "Aaaaaaaaaarghhh"

Prblanco manages to maintain fifth place after a difficult final sector, and Kerley pips Duffer over the line to gain the final point. 

    Carl_gpgames: "Congratulations @Fongu to another stunning lap which left us all way behind! 🏆🍾🏎️🏁 For myself, I'm super happy with my second podium of the year! 🅿️3️⃣🥉"

    Gildoorf: "Thanks, @Carl_gpgames and welcome back to the podium, mate! @Fongu unreachable since the very first chicane, what a lap!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻"

    Prblanco: "Many thanks @Carl_gpgames and congrats for the podium! I was up there with you and @32bobo32 until the last corner. The fight for P3 overall is only getting better"

    Fongu: "Thanks @Carl_gpgames for the video and welcome to the iconic monza podium, just pipping the home town hero."

Championship Standings:

Here are the standings after round 14:

1

Fongu

118

2

Gildoorf

88

3

Prblanco

46

4

32bobo32

42

5

Carl_gpgames

36

6

Duffer

20

7

KerleyF1

13



I extend my lead to a comfortable 30 points, as Gildoorf continues his impressive run in second place. 
Prblanco is just about hanging onto third place, with 32bobo32 and Carl_games closing in this round. Kerley's gathering momentum and becoming a consistent points scorer, this round having all 7 entrants participating. 

The next round is at Sochi, using the latest F1Virtual track based on the 2019 GP.