Friday 19 November 2021

Time Trial League - Rd 19 - Interlagos

Welcome to the Autódromo José Carlos Pace, or more commonly known as Interlagos, in Sao Paulo, Brazil. We're getting towards the tail end of the calendar, with races coming every week, and this round could have championship ramifications. 

    Carl: "let's see if we can crown a 1st TTL champion in this video"

This is the home of three of our competitors, Gildoorf, Kerley and Prblanco. 

    Gildoorf: "Brazilian dudes defending their colors😀"

    Kerley: "Another brazilian podium! Please guys! @Gildoorf @Prblanco"

Championship


Thanks to Prblanco for putting this helpful, Wikipedia style, graphic together. 

It's easy to pick out here that only the top three have victories this year so far, with Prblanco having more wins than Gildoorf in second place. Only Carl _gpgames and Kerleyf1 have entered every round, and everyone's had at least two podium finishes. Gildoorf has never finished off the podium, and I've never finished lower than second place. 

The Track

We'll be using F1Virtual's version of this track made for GP4, available here: http://f1virtual.blogspot.com/p/downloads-v2.html

Great track guys, thank you. 



The track itself is little changed from when GP4 was first released, so it ought to be a track that everyone knows well. 

I did have to check this little bug/trick with the stewards before submitting my lap, because running across the pitlane entry, you can go right through the tyre barrier to make the most of the shorter distance travelled to the line. 


    Masi: "I guess it's within the rules"


The Hot Laps


Thanks goes to Carl_gpgames for the video and the soundtrack, another great job. 
Prblanco is back on the wheel, but I'm back on the keyboard for this round. 

0:08 - Across the line we all go, and the top speed of the entire lap is on the way into turn 1. There's a bit of preparation you can take to increase this, a good exit out of Juncao, taking a wider line to build up speed, and using the undulation, particularly the down hill parts to give you that bit extra speed. 

1

Fongu

321.6

2

Gildoorf

318.0

3

Carl_gpgames

312.8

4

KerleyF1

311.8

5

32bobo32

311.7

6

Prblanco

309.5


Gildoorf and I are running with a lot less wing that the rest of the competitors, with me having the greater top speed overall. This should help us in sectors 1 and 3, provided we do not lose too much time in the twisty stuff in sector 2. 

I'm well over to the right on my approach to turn 1, but just to warn you, you have to watch it over the line, or you will go flying. The braking zone is slightly curved, and you don't really want to turn and brake at the same time. So I'm trying to straight line it as best I can from as far right as I can, aiming for the inside kerb. The keyboard players have got the braking action down now, hard on the brakes initially, then pumping the brakes towards the end to minimise any locked wheels, and thus being able to initiate some turn in. Gildoorf and I are both struggling to make it properly to the apex than the others, but the key thing is to line it up so you can get on the power on early through turn 2 and 3 and onto the back straight. Only Gildoorf and 32bobo32 are able to get straight on the power and not lift the throttle through turn 2. 

The first part of turn 3 is like the exit kerb from turn 2, and most of us use it liberally, but Kerley almost completely loses it, going way over it. Not much time lost through there though, as he's able to keep the momentum going onto the straight. As I've noted before, in real life, the more steering lock you have on, the more speed you scrub, but that's not really the case in GP4, it's optional on the wheel, and doesn't really apply to the keyboard. So I go for shortest distance, hence I'm keeping on the kerb to the inside for as long as I can, whereas in real life, I'd follow the racing line drifting towards the right hand side as I build up my speed. 

0:25 - The first sector is basically made up of straights and the Senna S, and is one of the shorter sectors of the season. Here's how we all did. 

1

Fongu

00:17.787

+0.000

2

Gildoorf

00:17.922

+0.135

3

Prblanco

00:17.980

+0.193

4

32bobo32

00:18.216

+0.429

5

KerleyF1

00:18.266

+0.479

6

Carl_gpgames

00:18.296

+0.509


I guess it's of no real surprise that those with the greatest top speed have performed well in the first sector. Prblanco is close, having lots of confidence to push through the chicane and setting a great time. The field is clearly split into two groups, even at this early stage, but it's too early to say who will come out on top. 

Turn 4 is a fast left hander, very inviting to carry lots of speed in, the key is to not use the exit kerb too much, particularly the astrotruf bit which will cause you to lose time bouncing over them. Sadly for 32bobo32 and Kerley, they are both slower in turn 5 because of it. The only one who is slower is Carl, but that's due to lack of confidence in turn 4, where he's using too much steering lock and then can't release it quick enough for a good exit. For me, I'm right on the limit of touching it without losing too much time, it means I've not left anything on the table in that corner as I'm trying to compensate for my low downforce setup. 

0:34 - As we approach the fast sweeping turns 6, 7 and into the tight turn 8, this is where I'm guaranteed to lose time to the others because of my downforce levels. On the keyboard there's a couple of lines that you can take, I find that if you're just off line in turn 6, it allows you to build up more speed and get a better line through turn 7. Gildoorf and I both take that line, Gildoorf has buckets load more confidence through there with the highest average speed through there overall. 32bobo32 and Kerley both stick to the CC-line. Prblanco is also amongst the quickest through there, but Carl has the slowest average speed, but is able to be neat and tidy. Gildoorf, for all his speed and bravery, is all over the exit kerb of turn 7 and has to give up a bit of time correcting it. Sometimes, on the keyboard, if you're too wide there, there's no hope of you making turn 8, but if you can manipulate some trajectory towards the inside of turn 8, then you can make it work for you, and that's exactly what Gildoorf is able to do here. 

Gildoorf jumps into the lead, whilst I'm just able to hold off Prblanco. Kerley is next, with 32bobo32 nipping at his heels. Carl is not far behind also. 

Turn 8 itself is really tricky on the keyboard. In real life, you watch the cars all take lots of inside kerb here, but the CC-line does not allow it, more often than not, you're carrying too much speed and you're hoping you're not too wide. If you manage to touch the white line on the inside of turn 8, you're doing well, but none of the keyboard runners are able to on our quickest laps. Prblanco and Carl are able to just about touch the inside white line briefly. 

Turn 9 also has different approaches, you can either take it as one long swooping corner, or you can use the first half as a braking zone, do a lot of your turning and then accelerate out - a bit like Vettel in the early Pirelli days. Prblanco and Carl are using their throttle to control their turning, opting for the smooth one long corner approach. Carl, once again, is using maximum lock for what seems like an eternity, a bit like Alonso in his championship winning days on the Michelins, just understeering and waiting for the tyres to grip. Prblanco avails himself of the exit kerb, it's a bit bumpy out there, and he doesn't get a great exit if you compare his speed with Gildoorf and I. On the keyboard, 32bobo32 is following the CC-line almost religiously, and so does Kerley. I take lots of exit speed out of turn 8, which sends me right into the kerb in turn 9, where I'm taking the most speed in, but I'll have to have the slowest mid-corner speed, hoping that I get a good exit (the Pirelli-Vettel approach). 32bobo32, of the keyboard runners, is the only one who keeps to the CC-line on the inside, as Gildoorf also uses lots of exit kerb to his advantage. 

As we exit turn 9, Gildoorf holds the slightest of advantage over me, with Prblanco dropping slightly back from the lead battle. Kerley is in a strong fourth, with 32bobo32 and Carl following in close succession. 

0:52 - The hairpin at turn 10 is the last tight corner of the lap, and again it's really easy to miss the apex here and lost a lot of time. You can choose to either take a wide approach in, but on the keyboard, you can run the risk of overdoing it and having to run wide all the way through the corner. Sometimes it's safer to be nearer the middle of the track in the braking zone. Gildoorf and I opt for different approaches, me taking the wide entry, Gildoorf the inside line. Prblanco also opts for the wide entry, whilst Carl opts for the inside line on the wheel. 32bobo32 and Kerley are both somewhere in the middle. I'm able to slow the car down enough to get close to the apex, whilst Gildoorf and Prblanco are slightly wider. 32bobo32 is also slightly wide, but Carl makes good time with his steering technique through there. 

Gildoorf and I both get great exits from there, both of us running neck and neck at this stage. Our speeds at the end of the exit kerb are quite a bit higher than the rest of the field. It's important to continue turning to get a wide entry into the long turn 11, particularly if you're running less downforce like I am, so that you can take it flat, otherwise you might not make it. There's no such dramas for us here. 

1:03 - The timing beam for sector 2 is here, before the vitally important final corner Juncao. 

1

Gildoorf

00:36.949

+0.000

2

Fongu

00:37.107

+0.158

3

Prblanco

00:37.109

+0.160

4

KerleyF1

00:37.456

+0.507

5

32bobo32

00:37.595

+0.646

6

Carl_gpgames

00:37.660

+0.711

 
Gildoorf absolutely smashes this sector, largely down to his heroics early on in turns 6 and 7. Considering Gildoorf and I are running lower downforce setups, it's a surprise that we top the times. Having said that, Prblanco is right there in the fight for the lead. It's close in the second half of the field two, again two tenths separating the three of them, with Kerley being urged on by the home crowd and finding that all important tenth of a second to keep ahead of the others. 

1

Gildoorf

00:54.871

+0.000

2

Fongu

00:54.894

+0.023

3

Prblanco

00:55.089

+0.218

4

KerleyF1

00:55.722

+0.851

5

32bobo32

00:55.811

+0.940

6

Carl_gpgames

00:55.956

+1.085


These are the total times after two sectors, and it's another close one between Gildoorf and I, and Prblanco is right in there too. I'm in the middle of some big Brazilian sandwich, trying my best to ruin the strong home team form and send the crowd home in tears. It's all to play for at the front, and it's just as close in the battle for fourth place. 

Sector 3 has one corner of note, Juncao. It's deceptively tricky, and I've always found I innocently lose so much time in this turn alone. You have to not slow down too much, but you can't use too much exit kerb, or the lap is lost. Much like in Austin, the question at the tail end of the lap is, do you play it safe, or do you risk it all in searching for the quickest lap time. 

    32bobo32: "I've always been in trouble with Juncao in gp4"
    Fongu: "me too 😭"
    Gildoorf: "Tricky indeed. The more one grabs the left kerb, the greater odd of a spin"

32bobo32 has a massive moment, as he carries a bit too much speed in, and has to catch the slide. He does so in a silky smooth manner, and he's managed to keep the momentum going and not lose too much time. Is this a bit of showboating for the fans from the Italian? 

If you are not on the exit kerb, then you know you're losing time. If you're significantly on the astroturf, there's a great possibility you're lap is done. I'm just teetering over the edge of the kerb, I know it's going to be a good lap now. 

Not for the first time this season, but it's a drag race to the line between Gildoorf and I, with Prblanco having just dropped a bit back and it out of contention for the win. 


It looks like I'm literally an inch in front, and the smallest of speed advantage. I'm keeping as far left as I can, as does Kerley, trying to go the shortest distance (the opposite of my build up lap). If you're not careful, the GP4 pit entry can form an invisible bump, and that could cost valuable traction and thus affect your top speed. Gildoorf, Kerley and I are running close to the inside, but I'm the slightly more extreme, risking the pitlane entry bump and going through the tyre barrier and keeping as close to the wall as I dare in search for every tiny advantage. Prblanco, 32bobo32 and Carl are all using the more conventional line. 

1:19 - Sector 3 is done, and it's another really short sector

1

Fongu

00:17.159

+0.000

2

Gildoorf

00:17.245

+0.086

3

Prblanco

00:17.461

+0.302

4

KerleyF1

00:17.502

+0.343

5

Carl_gpgames

00:17.597

+0.438

6

32bobo32

00:17.639

+0.480


It's nip and tuck between Gildoorf and I, and it's too close to call as to whether 0.08 is enough to get me back into the lead. Our low downforce really paying off in this final sector, as the rest of the field sets time within two tenths of each other. 

    Carl: "the only sector where i wasn't last 😀"

    Gildoorf: "Junção split the three frontrunners... @Prblanco was very close until S3."
    32bobo32: "Fantastic S3 as Always for me 😭"

The final times look like this:

1

Fongu

01:12.053

+0.000

2

Gildoorf

01:12.116

+0.063

3

Prblanco

01:12.550

+0.497

4

KerleyF1

01:13.224

+1.171

5

32bobo32

01:13.450

+1.397

6

Carl_gpgames

01:13.553

+1.500


It's unbelievably close at the front, but I've done again and it's victory by the tiniest of margins! It's a strong Brazilian performance, with Gildoorf just missing out on the win, Prblanco with a mighty fine lap in third, and Kerley just edging out the midfield with a great fourth place.

Reactions

Prblanco impressively sets his time on his second run on the wheel. 
Prblanco: "I've done enough laps here in my lifetime so I'm feeling confident 😬"
Gildoorf: "Impressive time for a short session, @Prblanco 👍🏻"
Prblanco: "It was my only 1:12 lap, I can't be sad 😄" 

Prblanco: "Now we only need to DSQ @Fongu for some reason and it's a Flag: Brazil on Twitter podium? 🤣"

Prblanco:     "How did @Fongu get to be faster on S1 and S3 and yet have one of the best S2s?"
                    "Let me touch his rear wing 👉🏻"


Fongu: "Go @KerleyF1 great job upholding Brazilian honour!"

Gildoorf: "If @KerleyF1 set this pace at the very early stages of TTL, fight for P4 would be neck by neck. Great performance once again.👏🏻👏🏻"

Gildoorf vs Fongu

The story from this round is not so much the hotlaps themselves, but the story of how they were set. 

Gildoorf was clearly looking for a home win, but I was out for revenge after Gildoorf took a massive victory at my home event at Silverstone. This is what I said in my report all those months ago...
"I look forward to returning the favour if we have a Brazilian round."

Fongu: "I'm not sure I have time this week, but the will to destroy brazilian dreams is strong... I mean I really love driving around the Interlagos circuit."

Gildoorf set the early pace with a 1:12.3 in his first session, saying a 1:11 was possible. 
I then set about my first session, fine tuning my setup to get a 1:12.8, but then I spotted something on Gildoorf's screenshot. 

Fongu: "I spy with my little eye .... you're going a lot faster down the straight than I!"

Gildoorf was hitting 317kph near the finish line, whereas I was barely getting 308kph, so I knew my setup could be improved. After lowering my downforce, I manage to set a 1:12.499.

But then, Gildoorf posted this ominous screenshot. 


Then Gildoorf pops in a 1:12.176, surely this was beyond what I was capable of. 

Onto my second set of runs, and I was able to match 1:12.277 with no changes to my setup. I knew I needed everything to work for me, so I crawled around the out-lap taking only 0.2 wear out of my tyres. I then ran down the fuel, making sure I finished the hotlap on the limit of 1.0 laps of fuel left at the end. And with that I managed by the end of a session, I set a 1:12.157

Fongu: "😱 I don't believe it"
Gildoorf: "It's gonna be close again🥳🥳"
Fongu: "I've got no more time to find, that's about as good as I can get it... please don't improve 😂"

Gildoorf didn't listen to me, and rightly so! He goes again and the benchmark time now is a 1:12.116

Gildoorf: "😌"
Prblanco: "What a beautiful battle 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻"

Prblanco is even trying to distract me by showing me the special helmets from the Brazilian GP. 
All the while, Carl_gpgames was struggling with transferring his data onto a new hard drive, hampering his time to get laps in. 

Into my final session and I'm not getting anywhere near the 1:12.1s. 

Fongu: "well at least I am consistent too 😂"

But then, from seemingly out of nowhere, I set a 1:12.053

Gildoorf:     "😫
                    Once again. Unbelievable.
                    Well, as Maya Angelou says, still we rise 😀"

Fongu:     "😬😬😬😬
                still not in the 11s but I'm really stretching myself for that 12.0"

Gildoorf: "1.11 possible. I just dunno how 😂😂"

I now wait anxiously for the deadline. My time is set, there's no time to do any more laps for me now. I'm a bag of nerves as I wait for Gildoorf to his lap, much like the 1994 Japanese GP that oddly ran to aggregate times. The time is in, and it's 1.12:116

By that stage, the others had not posted any times, so we didn't know if there was anyone who would challenge us. 

Gildoorf:     "By the way 😫
                    Come on, @Kerley and @Prblanco do your best😀😀"

Gildoorf, I've really enjoyed our battles this year, so many of them so close, and the wait for the video to be published creates an extra excitement. Watching the videos as we are back and forth, corner to corner, it's been a real pleasure to analyse. Thanks for pushing me to lap times I didn't think were possible. 

Championship

1

Fongu

154

2

Gildoorf

112

3

Prblanco

75

4

32bobo32

57

5

Carl_gpgames

47

6

KerleyF1

26

7

Duffer

20


It's not the end of the season yet, but let's get the party started because we have our first champion in our Time Trial League. And I can't think of a better place to decide it than in Carnival country, Brazil. Thanks to Carl_gpgames for the bonus celebratory video. 


Carl: "SIR @FONGU BECOMES THE FIRST CHAMPION OF THE GP4 TTL!
Fongu was really dominating the season and just drove on another level, even though sometimes it got quite close! 
He is a well deserved first champion! 🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾"

Prblanco: "🥳🥳🥳 congratulations @Fongu for a dominant season, even with stiff competition from @Gildoorf"

Oggo: "Congrats @Fongu 🥳🥳🍾🍾"

32bobo32: "👏👏👏 congratulation @Fongu! Well deserved championship!"

Gildoorf: "Huge congrats, @Fongu, you are the well deserved champion! I tried to make things a bit harder sometimes, but all I can say is that I learn a lot by watching your speed and reading your thoughts in all its glory by reading historical reports. Parabéns from Brasil, see you next year 😉!👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻" 

Kerley: "Thanks for the video @Carl_gpgames . Superb season @Fongu , congrats for be the champ! Thanks all you to run with @Prblanco @Gildoorf @32bobo32 @Duffer"