Tuesday 15 March 2022

GP4: 2nd batch of 2022 helmets

In this update, I have made a few shape fixes, and I've updated Lance Stroll's helmet to make the number on the top chrome. Today I offer up 5 more helmets added to the pack. I wanted to hold back a bit on creating the helmets until I was sure of what they will actually use during the season. 

But there's no harm in having the templates done that will hopefully save me time in the long run. Alex Albon, Sebastian Vettel and Mick Schumacher have all brought significantly different helmets to testing in Bahrain, Kevin Magnussen used his 2020 helmet, whilst many drivers ran the 'no war' logos on their lids. I wanted to create a base pack first, and if they continue to have special messages at the race, I'll add them then. 

Red Bull

Max Verstappen

Max Verstappen 2022 helmet

World Champion Max Verstappen has gone all gold for 2022. Unfortunately the wing at the back of the Schuberth hasn't been created, and the Arai one doesn't fit, so I'll have to put that on the back burner for now. The number 1 does appear on the back of the helmet along with a World Championship star. 

Ferrari

Carlos Sainz Jr

Carlos Sainz Jnr 2022 helmet
Carlos Sainz retains the style of his previous helmet, done by Dave Designs, but I've had to redraw every part of it for the 2022 edition. I love the bright red, the the red dashes, a good mix of Ferrari and his Spanish heritage. Sainz has moved from Schuberth to using Bell helmets this year. 

Williams

Nicholas Latifi

Nicholas Latifi 2022 helmet

Latifi has had a very similar helmet since his F1 debut, with personal sponsor, Sofina, logos making up all the swirls. This year, the blue ones are slightly brighter, and there's subtle changes all around the helmet. From the pictures I've seen, he's retained the Frank Williams Racing logo on the side of his helmet, I'm not sure if this will stay, but it would be a nice touch if it did. 

Alex Albon 2022 helmet

New Williams driver, Alex Albon, is still a Red Bull driver, can you tell? A striking design, with the Thai flag being worked in. After the rollercoster experience of F1 with Toro Rosso and Red Bull, he'll be looking to establish himself as the new young charger at Williams, pushing the team to good results just as Russell did the previous year. He's already got an alternative design that features much more white, so let's wait and see what he'll use during the season. 

Lewis Hamilton 2022 helmet

Finally in this batch is Lewis Hamilton returning with essentially his 2021 helmet design. The most significant change is on the top of the helmet with the rainbow glitter  most prominent on the 44, but also more subtly in his logo. I've also done a bit of fine tuning to make it more accurate to the real helmet. 

I doubt I'll get all the helmets done in time for the first race, that's not my aim, but I'll be glad for better pictures of the helmets in the race build up. Alonso has already teased more pink on his helmet to go with his predominantly pink car, I guess Ocon is likely to have the same.