Thursday 10 June 2021

GP4: 1996 Footwork Arrows FA17 walkaround part 1





This Footwork Arrows car would be my final contribution to the 1996 mod and in theory the shape that bests represents my modelling techniques that I have picked up along the way at that time. Credits go to Soulbringer for mapping, Kedy89 for the textures and I believe AUS_Doug was involved with the shadows. 



I was really pleased with how this car turned out, on the shape side on my part, and also on the rest of the work to bring it to completion, the early season Footwork livery being my preferred livery before TWR brought Power Horse sponsorship with him and a new livery for the car. 




I'd learnt by now how to proportion the car, making sure the dimensions match the other 1996 cars in terms of width and height in particular. A bug bear of mine from the early days when multiple car shapers were active, there was not much consistency in that regard, so I wanted to make sure that for the 1996 cars they were consistent throughout. 





There weren't, at that time, many good photographs of the rear and the internals, so there was a bit of artistic license employed if I remember correctly. I really wanted to make this car as smooth as possible, and I was perfecting my normals management, that's probably most evident where the rollover bar attaches to the side head protection/engine cover. 



It's been a long time since I wrote one of these, but this is the final one of my cars from 1996, so I look forward to enjoying the detail with you over the next couple of blog posts. 

In the meantime, here's a video of a converted version of the car in rFactor2.