Saturday 12 June 2021

GP4: 1996 Footwork Arrows FA17 walkaround part 3

This is part 3 of my walkaround, as we begin to look at some of the details of this 1996 Footwork Arrows FA17 shaped by me, with Soulbringer, Kedy89 and AUS_Doug all helping to compelte this car. This car forms part of the 1996 mod for GP4, and has subsequently been converted to other games such as rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa.


Footwork ran quite a rounded sidepod. Look at the bottom of the sidepod inlet, how it is rounded to let the air under the sidepod. The gradient then becomes more square as you get the join with the floor at the rear, and again I wanted to merge the sidepod smoothly with the floor which a nicely rounded. The sidepods show an undercut or sorts. The top of the sidepod shape was not flat, infact the contours at the bottom of the cockpit side protection and the top of the sidepod are not the same. So the top the sidepod has a different cross section as you progress from the front to the rear. This wasn't easy to get right and also to get the normals to look natural here was tricky too. 


As mentioned previously, I'm happy with how the rollover hoop merges smoothly onto the engine cover section, again this was an area I wanted to perfect in my modelling. The rear wing is quite standard, with Footwork being one of very few teams to colour the inside of the rear wing endplates. 


Here's a wireframe shot of the rear of the car, just to show some of the contours and details of the rear that would otherwise be missed. Again there weren't too many shots of this area of the car, but I like how it turned out. There was a big fat exhaust at the back, but there's no fancy blown diffuser on this car. You can see how the sidepod cooling outlet at the top separates that flow from the exhaust. The diffuser is nothing special again other than the kink along the top of the central section. 

Finally, here's a quick view of the internals of the car. I wanted to get some of the larger parts of the pipes and other larger details in there to give some interest, some of this more close to the 1997 car which I could find some internal photos of. 

Well that's it for the Footwork FA17 walkaround, and indeed the 1996 walkaround of my cars. I hope you guys enjoyed it, look out for more insights into my more recent work.